Formation encourages the development of intellectual capability, spiritual gifts, growth in community and ministerial skills.
Divine Word College provides appropriate formation programs for students from other religious congregations and seminarians for dioceses.
Ordained priests and religious in perpetual vows gain an understanding of DWC formation, while candidates and seminarians for a religious congregation or diocese take part in the Religious Formation Program.
Based on the Program of Priestly Formation (PPF) outlined by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, our formation program contains five facets:
- Human Formation emphasizes physical, psychological and emotional health, and delves into issues such as sexuality and celibacy. As you learn about and accept yourself as a creature of God, it helps to strengthen and improve the way you relate to others.
- Spiritual Formation opens the door to a deeper relationship with Jesus. It helps you discern your call to religious life as you grow in faith and discover the joy and power of personal and community prayer.
- Intellectual Formation focuses on learning. The College’s educational programs prepare you for future missionary ministry, while developing in you a commitment to ongoing education.
- Intercultural Community Formation develops respect and appreciation for other cultures. By interacting with others and being involved in the college community, you gain invaluable insight and understanding of people from around the world.
- Ministry Formation introduces you to fundamental aspects of ministry to those in need. By connecting with others outside the college community, this act of charity creates a wonderful opportunity to gain a sense of what it means to be missionary.