A religious missionary calling is best discerned and confirmed in community.
The formation program at Divine Word College helps you discern your call to religious life. It allows time for personal growth as you get to know yourself, your faith, your relationship with God and how you, as a disciple of Jesus, can serve people as a Divine Word Missionary priest or brother.
Our formation program offers organization and structure for your discernment, creating a shared experience as you regularly meet and work with others who are also trying to decide if God is calling them to religious life.
The formation program at Divine Word College is based on the Program of Priestly Formation (PPF) authorized by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. Our program contains five key facets:
- Human Formation emphasizes physical, psychological and emotional health, and delves into issues such as sexuality and celibacy. As you learn about and accept yourself as a creature of God, it helps to strengthen and improve the way you relate to others.
- Spiritual Formation opens the door to a closer relationship with Jesus. It helps you discern your call to religious life as you grow in faith and discover the joy and power of personal and community prayer.
- Intellectual Formation focuses on learning. The College’s educational programs prepare you for future missionary ministry, while developing in you a commitment to ongoing education.
- Intercultural Community Formation develops respect and appreciation for other cultures. By interacting with others and being involved in the college community, you gain invaluable insight and understanding of people from around the world.
- Ministry Formation introduces you to fundamental aspects of ministry to those in need. By connecting with others outside the college community, this act of charity creates a wonderful opportunity to gain a sense of what it means to be missionary.